Santiago de Cuba and the History of its Beaches
This southeastern territory was one of the first ones in the country to make good use of its coastal waters, specially the inner area of its huge and gorgeous bay, and turn them into seaside resorts or simple beach areas.
Sign up for this contest: What will happen in Santiago de Cuba on July 25, 2015?
The governmental authorities of the territory were aware of the importance in terms of the health and relaxation of the people, so in 1864 they gave the green light to build the first resort in town, nestled in a place known as Punta Blanca, to the east of the Bay and north of Batería de Saludos.
The first four decades of the 20th century promoted the use of the coastal waters for leisure activities. This stage kicked off with the construction of Aguadores public seaside resort, located in the inlet with the same name to the east of El Morro castle, since the place featured excellent conditions and it was near the city.
Aguadores was a public seaside resort until 1948, when the city’s sewer system was finally built and the disposal of urban waste targeted the estuary of a river near the area.
Los Coquitos, was another popular resort for the people of Santiago. Based in the inlet next to Alameda Michelson, it covered 25 hectares and bordered on the lands owned by L. Ros & Co. and Federico W. Ramsden to the north, State properties to the south and west, and the Caribbean Sea to the east.
The building of La Socapa kicked off in 1919 as requested by Mr. José A. Robert y Sagarra, who got the authorization in 1921 to construct 13 wooden houses in the place and a pier to receive the ships that would bring swimmers in.
In 1935, the Bacardí Co. began the construction of La Estrella beach club. In 1941 Mr. Manuel Garbey and Mr. Leonides Calderío suggested the establishment of a public resort in the site because of its natural characteristics, with capacity for nearly 2,000 swimmers, communication facilities and null risk for those who cannot swim.
Likewise, Siboney beach, a place of dream-like characteristics just 14 kilometers away from the city, was a fine option to build a resort. The construction process began in 1957, after a long negotiation process with the City Hall started by Mr. Carlos F. Perera y Bravo in 1926.
The application to use this place was based on its beauty, the lack of resorts near the city –the Aguadores project was the only one – the possible advantages in terms of communication because of the new road. Actually, the above-mentioned company already had a project to use the Siboney area, as it had established a private resort in 1929.
The triumph of the Cuban Revolution in 1959 marked a fresh start in the history of seaside resorts. With the promulgation of Law 270 that declared the public use of coasts and beaches, the private beach clubs disappeared and all Cubans gained access to those facilities, without any difference between races or social classes. This law abolished the Ports Law, promulgated on May 7, 1880 and put into effect ten years later; and it not only declared beaches of public use, but it included all places along the coastal, always paying respect to the public order.




