Santiago de Cuba’s Former Elementary School for Teachers

webmaster
10 December 2014 4:08pm
Santiago de Cuba’s Former Elementary School for Teachers

Santiago de Cuba’s former Elementary School for Teachers, the current Development Center of Methodological, Scientific and Pedagogical Activities, treasures within its walls the mark of illustrious men, such as the unforgettable Fran País García.

Click on Santiago de Cuba: A City of 500 Years

Back in 1899 the North American invading government decided to build a school in Santiago de Cuba. Santa Ana Hill was the place chosen to carry out the project, in a place near El Palomar fortified tower.

The contract to build the property was signed in 1900, and the governor at the time donated the State-owned terrains.

The building was constructed in two years with engineer W. M. Black, from the US Engineers Corp, as the main draftsman.

The project was supported by citizens and the North American state of Massachusetts, who gave $ 10,000 and $ 30,000 from the Treasury funds.

History tells that the people that donated that money were parents or relatives of US soldiers that died during the operations undertaken in Santiago de Cuba in the Hispanic-Cuban-North American War.

The No.1 School or Model School was inaugurated in 1902 and was active through early 1916. It was later refurbished and used as Elementary School for Eastern Teachers, opened on October 10, 1916.

The building project was inspired by architectural models of US schools. The main building was restored in 1998, when it was declared National Monument.

Back to top